Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Under the Weather

You'll be pleased to know that the title of this post is indeed an intended pun. I was feeling pretty bad a few days ago, have rallied, am well again. Aaaaannnd the payoff: 

Hurricane Matthew has been harassing centroamérica all weekend. The storm counts among its casualties one blue Samsung cell phone and a usb internet connection.  I left my window open a bit the Friday that the rains started and came home to a very damp library and some deceased electronics…The rains, predicted to end Sunday have now been extended through Tuesday. Which means that my laundry, which I so boldy hand-washed on Sunday, will never dry (honestly the extra rinse will probably do it good…I don’t think I did a very good job). Luckily my new raincoat protected my torso this afternoon as the rest of me was swept away in the rain during an epic seafaring adventure to Citibank.

R.I.P.

Inappropriate joking aside (too late!!), as of yesterday the floods had claimed one official victim in El Salvador. Considering the past tragedies that have resulted from similar floods and the lamentable emergency response system the new government inherited, this is actually quite positive. Still I think its important to remember that heavy rains, the likes of which many experience in the states as a large inconvenience (as I have), can be catastrophic to communities without the infrastructure to manage such emergencies. 

I think I’m making progress food-wise. Yogurt has been a big hit thus far, as has Special K, powdered milk, granola bars and trail-mix. I even bought some apples, although cleaning them is hardly worth it; I’ve gotten bananas a couple times but they come super ripe here, not the greenish way I like. Is that silly? Yes…Today at the comedor I had tortillas filled with cheese and fried (?) in…something…unclear. NOT the same as pupusas, for whatever reason. I also had pizza hut this weekend for maybe the third time in my life, at a graduation party for a newly licensiado. I also tried dorritos with beans. Nouveau comida típica, maybe. (I don’t want to capitalize the D in dorrito because I feel it gives them too much credit, but by not doing so am I letting them enter into the vernacular like Kleenex and Xerox and Band-Aid? Oh my.)


I’ll leave you with some good advice:



1 comment:

  1. We love your blog - keep them coming -Granddad says try tequila or margaritas - that should sanitize your digestive system.

    We are now in Halifax on the last leg of our Nova Scotia trek - Cape Breton is spectacularly beautiful - check out the CABOT TRAIL

    ReplyDelete