Saturday, September 18, 2010

Algunas cositas más



Saludos todo@s!
All is well here, all is warm.Yom Kippur passed me by this year, desafortunadamente, but I've found comfort knowing that next year, just like this year, I can open up my prayer book and read that this year I was inadequate, next year I will be better.

I've just gotten access to internet at home now via one of those prepaid USB drives. I wont have it always because it doesn't belong to me, but I'm sure that the intermittent access to facebook and megavideo on evenings and weekends will really add a lot to my life.

I've settled into my room pretty well, with the handy edition of a mesita gracias a my landlords/house fam and nice layer of dog hair gracias a my new best friend. The food situation is a little complicada. At home, I'm not really up for cooking very elaborately thus far, plus I've experienced at least one power outage and I think the refrigerator experienced it as well, or so my carton of milk seemed to tell me. Luckily my yogurt is proving heartier than the aforementioned milk, and Super Selectos is fully stocked with over-priced dried fruits, nuts and granola. Eating out como vegenteriana, rice and beans and cheese on the side has become a lunchtime staple at the nearby comedor. On good days there's chili rellenos con queso, or tortitas de orroco (yummy little egg and veggie patties). In case you were wondering.

My cell phone has been experiencing technical difficulties, or rather my cell phone provider doesn't seem to be much up for providing. I may have to get a new one with a different provider, because so far there is at least one person (with a different provider) unable to call me but who I can reach just fine. And the problem has been diagnosed to be on my end---why would service problems mean that I can call someone but they can't call me, I ask you?? Insanity. We went to the mall to address the situation at one point, to no avail. But the mall, my goodness. Apparently it's the largest shopping center in Central America, though I'm not sure how to qualify that given that it's really a collection of the same handful of store multiplied throughout (these include: Mister Doughnut, Regge, and Pollo Compero among others), kind of like eight copies of the same shopping mall stacked on top of one another.


I've met some super cool folks, eaten some outrageously delicious homemade bread, and seen some groovy music. Workwise, I've already got my hands pretty full of things to do, all of them engaging/exciting/interesting and whathaveyou.So until next time...

Hilary

1 comment: